Thursday 31 December 2009

2009 - looking back


My 2009 was a waiting room. A year of hope and anticipation. A year spent getting ready to be a published author.
My 2009 was hard work - editing one book, writing another. Working as a journalist, creating a blog. Some bits of work clashing with other bits. None of it very lucrative, all of it great fun.
My 2009 was a year of networking. Meeting people on Facebook, Twitter and Blogger. Meeting people in publishing, through journalism. Meeting fantastic, supportive and welcoming children’s authors. Meeting teenagers who’d read early copies of my book. Hearing stories, connecting with others. I don’t think I’ve ever had a year so rich in new friendships.
My 2009 was a year of anxiety. Like many families we’ve been badly hit by the credit crunch - a friendly name for a devastating event. 2009 for us - like many others – was a year of fear, unfairness, economies and big worries.
My 2009 was a half-way healthy year - no major illnesses at any rate - but a year when I spent too much time at the computer, ate too much rubbish and didn’t exercise or sleep enough. In fact 2009 was really the year of sleepless nights.
My 2009 was a year of reading - non-stop, addictive reading, Adult and YA books, too many great ones to pick favourites and a few real turkeys. And 2009 was a year of films and theatre too.
My 2009 was the year of the guinea pigs – bought for my daughter’s birthday, it is incredible how two cuddly cavies have become part of the family.
My 2009 was a year of revisiting the past – going back to Amsterdam as a visitor. Going back to the Jewish Chronicle where I started work as a messenger girl 28 years ago – and finding that lots of the staff are still there. And still readjusting to life back in London, back in our old house which we left in 1999 and returned to in 2007.

That was my 2009. How was yours?

7 comments:

  1. Let's look forward; I'd like to wish you a fantastic 2010 filled lots of good things for all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2010 will be a fabulous year. When you walk into a book store and see When I Was Joe sitting on the shelves, I bet all the hard work of 2009 will feel like it has been worth it. Happy New Year Keren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today's for looking back - might peer forward into 2010 tomorrow. What amazed me was how many good things I could find to say about a very difficult year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, this year hasn't been so eventful relative to other years in the Noughties, though I've been spoilt so guess it was still a memorable year in many ways. I will remember 2009 as the year I learnt most about myself, the year I learnt to do what I want to do regardless of what others think, and the year when I went on more disastrous dates than I could ever imagine. Oh, and a few new friendships too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like it was a great for you, Keren. I think 2010 will be better though, 'cause you're book's being published! :)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope this year is great for you too Keren!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone - I certainly hope 2010 is better than 2009 because it was a very stressful year.

    ReplyDelete